Sports Management Degrees at University of North Georgia
The University of North Georgia appears in our ranking of the 20 Best Online Masters in Kinesiology and Exercise Science.
People who love sports but realize they are not talented enough to make it as a professional do not have to give up their dreams of a career in sports. With a sports management degree, individuals can have a lucrative career as a trainer, sport marketer, facility operations manager, guest relations manager or athletic administrator. Professional and college-level sports have a large number of employees who work behind the scenes to support the athletes, facilities and business of sports. The University of North Georgia offers several degree programs designed to help individuals obtain careers in sports.
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with a Sports Medicine Concentration
The University of North Georgia offers a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with a concentration in Sports Medicine. The program prepares students for careers in athletic training. It requires a semester-long internship in addition to a rigorous curriculum. Courses required for the program may include:
- Abnormal Psychology
- Advanced Strength Conditioning
- Athletic Injuries & Care
- Contemporary Issues in Sport Medicine
- Foundations of Therapeutics
- Exercise Epidemiology and Aging
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Testing and Preparation
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II
- Human Growth & Development
- Introduction to Kinesiology
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Introduction to Strength and Conditioning
- Kinesiology & Palpation
- Medical Terminology and Documentation
- Nutrition for Performance
Master of Science in Athletic Training
The Master of Science in Athletic Training provides an understanding in athletic training as well as advanced knowledge in evaluation, rehabilitation, acute care and other factors that can have an impact on athletic ability. The program begins in the summer with foundational coursework that prepares students to take a clinical rotation in the fall. Courses required for the program may include:
- Advanced Exercise Physiology
- Advanced Orthopedics
- Advanced Therapeutics
- Emergency Care
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Foundations of Athletic Training & Care
- Orthopedic Evaluation I & II
- Research Methods
- Sports Nutrition
- Techniques in General Medicine
- Therapeutics I & II
The program is available both on campus and online.
Master of Science in Kinesiology
The University of North Georgia offers a Master of Science in Kinesiology that is available completely online. The program provides an advanced understanding of kinesiology to those who currently hold a teaching certificate in physical education or have a degree in exercise science and non-certification physical education. Students may concentrate in physical education and health or exercise science. Courses required may include:
- Administration of Health & Physical Education Programs in Schools
- Advanced Curriculum and Instruction Health & Physical Education
- Advanced Exercise Physiology
- Advanced Exercise Prescription & Program Design
- Advanced Health & Wellness
- Advanced Kinesiology
- Analysis of Motor Skills
- Application of Qualitative Research in Physical Education
- Contemporary Issues and Concerns in Health & Physical Education
- Measurement and Evaluation
- Nutrition in Exercise & Sports
- Obesity Prevention in Children and Youth
- Research Methods
- Trends and Issues in Health & Physical Education
About University of North Georgia
In 2012, the University System of Georgia’s Board of Regents recommended that Gainesville State College, founded in 1964, and North Georgia College and State University, founded in 1873, merge to form the University of North Georgia. The merger established four campuses of the University in northeast Georgia, including Cumming, Dahlonega, Gainesville, and Oconee. A fifth campus in Blue Ridge, Georgia, opened in 2015.
The University of North Georgia offers a wide range of opportunities for students who wish to become global leaders in their field of expertise. The school is one of only six federally-designated senior military colleges in the country and carries the distinction of The Military College of Georgia. It is recognized for the Army ROTC program which attracts students from around the world. The University has also earned the Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation as well as designation as a State Leadership Institution.
Today, there are 19,748 students enrolled at the University of North Georgia.
University of North Georgia Accreditation Details
The University of North Georgia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Accreditation indicates that the school offers programs that meet or exceed criteria the Commission has determined indicates excellence in education. Periodically, the school undergoes a peer-review process and any areas that are identified as needing improvement are addressed immediately. In addition, programs throughout the school are accredited by the following organizations:
- Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education
- National Association of School of Art and Design
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
University of North Georgia Application Requirements
In order to apply for the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with a Sport Medicine concentration, applicants must have completed 40 hours of coursework and must apply by the second week of January. They must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and have passed Human Anatomy & Physiology with a “C” or better as well as Athletic Injuries & Care with a “B” or better. They must also submit to a background check.
Applicants to the Master of Science in Athletic Training must apply by December 1st. They must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university and must have a cumulative GPA of 3.2. They must provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended as well as official GMAT scores. A letter of intent, current resume, two letters of recommendation and proof of 50 observation hours under a certified athletic trainer must also be provided. Applicants must have proof of CPR training, a background check and must provide a physical form.
In order to apply for the Master of Science in Kinesiology, applicants must hold a teaching certificate in physical education or have an undergraduate degree in exercise science and non-certification physical education. They must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher and must provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. They must also provide official GRE or GMAT scores. Applicants must have completed Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Motor Behavior, Personal & Public Health, Exercise Epidemiology & Aging, Nutrition for Performance, Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology with a “C” or better.
University of North Georgia Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition for the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology with a Sport Medicine concentration is $842.03 per credit hour for in-state students and $1,313.97 for out-of-state students. Tuition for the Master of Science in Athletic Training for on-campus classes is $885.50 for in-state students and $1,571.50 for out-of-state residents. Tuition for the Master of Science in Athletic Training and the Master of Science in Kinesiology for online classes is $453 per credit hour for both in-state and out-of-state residents.
Financial aid is available and all students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify as some assistance is merit-based rather than need-based. Undergraduate students may be offered grants, scholarships or loans to cover the cost of tuition. Work-study programs for those who attend on campus may also be included in financial aid packages. Graduate students are offered loans and those who attend on campus may be offered assistantships or fellowships. Students are encouraged to seek grants and scholarships from outside organizations.
The University of North Georgia provides a culture of academic excellence that includes high-quality education, focus on service to the community and world-renowned research facilities to prepare students to be leaders on a local, regional, national and global scale.
- 10 Most Affordable Bachelor’s Exercise Science Degree Online Programs
- What is a Sports Massage Therapist?
- What is an Athletic Trainer?
- What is an Exercise Physiologist?
- What Does A Sports Nutritionist Do?
- How Do You Become a Physical Therapist?
- What Sports Medicine Classes Do I Need to Take to Get a Job in Sports Medicine?